Last Updated on
There are a lot of items in our home that can be ruined by a poorly placed sticker. Also, peeling off price tags, manufacturer labels, or children stickers might leave a gunk leftover on several items like mirrors, mason jars, books, and more.
Let’s discuss various ways by which we can remove sticker residues from plastic, clothes, walls, etc.
How to remove sticker residue from different substances?
After you have peeled off a sticker from any substance, you will doubt as to how will you get rid of the sticker residue. This gummy leftover can be difficult to remove sometimes. Follow the steps listed below to remove sticker residues from different substances.
- Firstly, try to remove these residues with your fingers as much as possible. Roll the adhesive-back stickers into balls with your fingertips and take them off.
- Now, use a plastic scraper to scrape the remaining sticker residue from several substances without scratching.
- You can also point a hairdryer at the sticker residue, switch it on, and enable the hot air to loosen the sticker. Once it has loosened, scrape it off.
How to remove sticker residue from plastic?
Listed below are 3 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from plastic:
1) Immerse the plastic in a container of cooking oil for around 24 hours. These cooking oils will soak into the sticker and soften the adhesive-back stickers. Once it has loosened, gently peel off the sticker with a razor blade.
2) Another way of removing sticker residue is by using peanut butter. Cover the sticker in a thin layer of peanut butter and keep it like that for a few minutes. After some time, wipe it off with a sponge and warm, soapy water.
3) You can also use mayonnaise to get rid of sticker residue. Any kind of mayonnaise will help in removing the sticker residue. Rub some mayonnaise over the sticker residue. Enable it to sit for 10-15 minutes. Then, wipe it off with a dry cloth. Repeat this process if the residue does not come off the first time.
How to remove sticker residue from clothes?
Listed below are 3 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from any garment without spoiling them:
- To eliminate sticker residue from natural-fiber clothing, you can use acetone nail polish remover. This nail remover will help to break down the hardened, leftover adhesive sticker. Place the cloth flat on a table and put a towel behind the stain. Ensure that the glue is dry, then dab acetone nail-polish remover onto the garment, and rub it into the leftover glue. The sticker residue will vanish quickly.
- Use warm water and dish soap to remove sticker residue from synthetic clothes. Keep the garment in the freezer for one hour so that the sticker can become hard, then take it out and try to pick off the residue as much as you can with the help of your fingertips. Now, wet the garment and rub it with a microfiber cloth and a little dish soap to remove the remaining residue. Lastly, soak the garment in warm water for 20 minutes, then let it air-dry.
- Heat undiluted distilled white vinegar in the pan or microwave until becomes warm. Dip a sponge in the warm vinegar and squeeze it over the sticky area until it is saturated. Once the sticker starts loosening, roll up or lift it with the help of a blunt knife or edge of a spatula.
How to remove sticker residue from the car?
Listed below are 4 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from a car:
- Hold an ice pack over the car sticker for some time to cool off the adhesive. Now, use a razor blade or a credit and slowly peel off the sticker. Wipe off the remaining residue by applying a light coat of nail polish remover.
- Apply rubbing alcohol to the sticker and wait for some. Once the sticker has loosened, use a razor blade to peel it off.
- Remove as much of the adhesive as you can with the help of your fingers. Then, spray WD-40 on the sticker edges and let it soak in for some time. Now, take out your pencil, and rub the outer edges. The residue will slowly gum up as you work around the whole sticker. Lastly, use a damp cloth to wipe off everything once you are done.
- You can also use a sticker remover to clean the car sticker residue. Just apply it around the edges of the sticker and wait for some time. Now, remove it using your credit card or fingertips.
How to remove sticker residue from a Laptop/MacBook?
Listed below are 4 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from a Laptop/MacBook:
- Shut down and unplug your Laptop/ MacBook before wiping off the sticker residue. You should also remove the battery. Now, get a clean microfiber cloth and soak it in hot water. Now take out the cloth from the water, wring it well, and scrub the sticker residue. If the area is still dirty, apply a drop of dish soap into the cloth, soak it in water, and wipe off the entire sticky area.
- You can also apply mild abrasives such as Scotch Brite pads, toothpaste or baking soda paste directly on the stickers to remove it.
- Another way of removing stickers from laptop or MacBook is by using heat guns or hair dryers. Use the lowest setting and aim your heat gun or hair dryer directly at the sticker. Hold it for at least 30 to 45 seconds. After some time, you will be able to peel the sticker off easily.
- Mineral spirits like Goo Gone and WD-40 can also remove sticker residue. Apply any of these solvents to a clean piece of microfiber cloth, and wet the sticker around the edges. Let the solvent sit for some time on the sticker then carefully scrape it off.
How to remove sticker residue from wood?
Listed below are 4 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from wood:
1) Apply vegetable oil on the sticker residue and let it soak for around 2 hours. After 2 hours, use a warm hairdryer to soften the sticker before wiping it off with warm soapy water.
2) Another way of removing the sticker residue is by applying furniture polish. Use a clean cloth to rub the area with furniture polish, and then peel it off smoothly
3) You can also use mineral oil to remove stickers from the wood. Apply it directly on the sticker and then use a clean cloth to gently scrub off the residue.
4) The last method to get rid of sticker residue is by using a nail polish remover. Apply a small amount of nail remover on a cotton ball or swab. Rub it over the sticker gently and see to it that the solution does not go further than the residue patch. Lastly, wipe off the sticker with a dry cloth.
How to remove sticker residue from metal?
Listed below are 3 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from a metal surface:
1) Use fine-grade sandpaper to smooth down the residue and adhesive puddles. Use a safety razor to remove the remaining residue. Dab a soft cloth in acetone to remove the excess sticker from the metal. Use another clean cloth to wipe off excess acetone from the metal.
2) Basic razor blades are also good for removing sticker residues from the metal surface. Use a wet cloth and rub on the sticker gently to remove its top layers. Finally, take the razor blade and peel off the remaining residue.
3) The third way of removing sticker residue from a metal surface is by using a homemade adhesive solution. Combine one tbsp. coconut oil and one tbsp. baking soda. Mix it in a small container, and use a piece of cloth to apply it on the metal surface. Lastly, use the wet cloth again to wipe the surface clean.
How to remove sticker residue from stainless steel?
Listed below are 3 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from stainless steel:
1) Try to pull off as much of the sticker you can with the help of your fingernails. Now, take a soft cloth and soak a part of your cloth in mineral, baby, or olive oil. Dab the oil on the sticker and allow it to sit on the sticker for a few minutes. Once the sticker loosens, wipe the sticker away. Finally, wipe the oiled cloth across the whole stainless steel surface to remove fingerprints or any other marks.
2) You can also remove sticker residue from stainless steel by using heat and coconut oil. Hold the utensil over the flame, and aim the sticker at it. Run the flame over the sticker for around 30 seconds so that it heats the whole sticker evenly. You can opt for a lighter, candle or match as your open flame. After running the flame over the sticker for some time, the glue on the sticker will melt and you can easily peel it off with your fingernails. Now, wipe off the entire area with coconut oil.
3) The last method involves the use of alcohol. Dab some rubbing alcohol onto a towel and apply it on the sticker. Let it sit for some time and then gently peel it off with your fingernails.
How to remove sticker residue from books?
Listed below are 3 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from books:
1) Peel off as much of the sticker as you can with the help of your fingernails. Now, use a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol or nail polish remover to wipe off the sticker residue.
2) The second method involves using a hairdryer. Start to peel an edge of the sticker off while pointing your hair dryer directly on the sticker. Once the dryer heats the adhesive in the sticker completely, the sticky residue will soften, and you will be able to peel it off smoothly.
3) You can also use Goo Gone to remove sticker residue from books. Peel off as much of the sticker you can with the help of your fingers and then use a cotton swab dipped in Goo Gone to wipe off the sticker residue gently.
How to remove sticker residue from walls?
Listed below are 3 ways by which you can remove a sticker residue from walls:
- Mix some hot water along with a few drops of dishwashing liquid. Now, use a spray bottle or sponge and gently apply the mixture on the sticker residue. Once the residue softens, carefully scrape the residue with a blunt knife or another flat object.
- Another method of removing sticker residue from the wall is by mixing a few drops of white vinegar into a bucket of warm water. Now, use a spray bottle or sponge and gently apply the mixture on the sticker residue. Let it sit for some time and then wipe it off.
- You can also use a fabric softener to remove sticker residue from the wall. Combine 1 part liquid fabric softener with 2 parts water. Use a spray bottle or sponge, and gently apply the mixture to a portion of the wall. But do it carefully as the fabric softener can stain the remaining section of the wall.
- The last method involves the use of a clothing steamer to remove sticker residue. Point the steamer near the residue and allow the steam to soften it. Once softened, wipe off the sticker residue.
Follow the above methods and remove sticker residues easily!